- Heat a large, flat pan or griddle (ideally nonstick) on a medium heat
- Mix the milk, flour, sugar, baking powder and egg together in a large bowl
- Stir in the melted butter and stir hard to combine. Don't worry too much about lumps
- Mix in the grated apple and a good couple of handfuls of granola/muesli/oats
- Loosen the mix to dolloping consistency with apple juice if necessary
- Using a ladle or ice cream scoop, dollop pancakes out to about 1cm thickness. If you aren't using a non-stick pan, oil it lightly with some kitchen roll and flavourless oil before you cook the pancakes
- Once bubbles show at the top (they will be small because of the granola) flip the pancakes and cook until firm and golden brown. I used a fish slice as they're too cakey and I did too many at once to toss them
- When all the batter has been used up, quickly wipe out the pan to remove any scraps of batter
- Pour in a good amount of maple syrup and the apple juice, then increase the heat and stir.
- Add the butter, spices and extra granola (more fruit, vanilla sugar, anything can go here) and pour the hot sauce over the pancakes.
- Serve as they are, or scatter with berries, spoon on some yoghurt, throw superfoods at them etc. Go crazy.
listening to: Laszlo - 'Mr Sunshine'