For the Pork For the Carolina Kansas Beans
boneless pork steaks shallots or onion, medium diced
garlic powder sunflower oil (or another frying oil)
smoked paprika tomato puree
mild chilli powder American-style deli mustard (the yellow stuff)
salt & black pepper malt vinegar
thyme smoked paprika
rosemary garlic powder
salt & black pepper
canned beans in tomato sauce
1. Mix the dry rub for the pork together. Smear the pork with some sunflower/rapeseed oil and liberally rub with the spice mix. Leave it on the side - it doesn't have to be marinading for ages.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or sauteuse - add the onion and start them on a high heat to colour them, then reduce the heat to cook them until soft.
3. Heat a griddle pan for the pork with a touch more oil until it's smoking.
3. Add in a good spoon of tomato puree to the onions, about the same amount of mustard and heat quickly. Deglaze with some malt vinegar then add smoked paprika, garlic powder and mixed spice to taste.
4. Start to griddle the pork steaks over a high heat, leaving it to char before turning it over.
5. Add the beans to the onion mix and stir everything together thoroughly. Taste for seasoning, and add Worcestershire and apple sauces to taste.
6. When the pork is cooked, leave it to rest in a sealed foil package, shiny side in, before emptying the juice into the beans and serving everything hot.
SOUNDTRACK: Florida Georgia Line - Cruise, or Get Your Shine On.