- pasta (I like shorter cuts like fusilli, rigatoni or penne for this)
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove per person, finely chopped
- frozen peas
- a decent handful of basil each
- wholegrain mustard
- may or crème fraîche
- sea salt, pepper
- Get water on to boil for pasta. Once boiling, pour in and cook as per the pack's instructions.
- Half-fill a pasta bowl per person with frozen peas. Add the garlic, a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Microwave the peas until completely done (around 5 minutes for 1 bowl) then remove
- Use a fork to slightly crush the peas in the bowl. You don't want a puree
- Add a spoonful of mayo or crème fraîche to loosen the peas. Stir until green (crush more if you need to)
- Season to taste and add a small teaspoon of mustard to each bowl. Tear/cut in the basil (be generous!)
- Drain the pasta and toss with the pea mix. Loosen with olive oil if you want to, then serve.
NB: this is gorgeous by itself, but would work well with grilled white meats, a poached egg, some salad and crusty bread... Essentially a way to make a storecupboard staple dinner in less than 20 minutes into something a bit sexy. Tart it up your way though :)
SOUNTRACK: Jónsi - Boy Lilikoi.